Wednesday, August 23, 2017

I sewed a quilted heart



My Granddaughter and I have always believed in "paying it forward" and have done a few projects which promote that philosophy. We are truly blessed to have each other and many common interests. We love to sew and quilt. When I saw the "I Found A Quilted Heart" movement, I knew it was for us.
All of the information, rules, etc. can be found here.

Our process is simple:

  • Quilt together two fat quarters. We used fusible batting and it was so easy.
  • Trace a heart shape on the quilted fabric and cut out the hearts using pinking shears.
  • We sewed a straight stitch close to the edge, so it doesn't fray or come apart. 
  • We printed out the sample tags found on the website. and glued them to the back of paper hearts. We made the paper hearts out of card stock and hole punched them to facilitate hanging.



My Granddaughter hand wrote "Take Me Home" to the front side of the heart tags.











We added rick rack, buttons, lace, etc. to the hearts.


We added ribbon or rick rack as a hanger and stitched it on with the sewing machine to make it strong.

We made 11 hearts the first day!


We sowed 2 hearts that first day in Pennsylvania and it was really hard to walk away and not to hang around and see if anyone noticed the heart or claimed it. It rained so hard that night that I woke up and wondered if the hearts were in the rain.

I am taking two hearts with me this weekend to Maryland and my Granddaughter is taking two with her to South Carolina. I wonder if everyone else who makes these hearts checks the FB page to see if anyone has claimed/recorded their heart as often as I do? Just think, you may be lucky enough to find one. We'll be making more hearts next week!

#isowedaquiltedheart 

No comments: