Saturday, June 01, 2019

2019 Monthly Color Challenge - June


June - Sundaze Blaze Starflower (Orange)






June's block can be found here on Jen's Blog.


For me the most difficult part of any Block of the Month (BOM) is choosing the fabric.

The flower looks like a combination of yellows and oranges. I pull fabrics from my stash that I like and then sub-organize them into color families or tones.



One of the most important steps in sewing any sections of a block is taking the time to iron the seams correctly. Press the seam before opening it to set it. Then press in the direction that Jen indicates on the pattern, if no direction is given, press to the dark side. 

  
 

Using a 4.5 inch ruler to square up the blocks is not necessary, but it helps. A rotary mat makes it easy to rotate the square to trim.





When you are squaring up these sections, line up the center point and trim from there.





I tend to pin seams that I need to match. 




Taking a picture will show you whether you have your blocks and rows lined up correctly.

A Quilt Guild member introduced me to this wooden seam clapper. A great tool for flat and multiple connecting seams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF4nKm8umLA


My finished block! I am glad I added a light fabric with a little yellow in it. 




I tend to view each block as a separate entity and now wish I had tried to match them into the whole.



Not knowing the finished layout, I believe it will still be beautiful when completed.



Check out the other Bloggers this month for some more tips and tricks!

Patterns by Jen 

Textile Time Travels



#2019monthlycolorchallenge #juneblock #orangeblock

No comments: