Saturday, November 21, 2020

Coronavirus Quilt Finishes and life during a pandemic.

April 2020


Just like everyone else, I am having a hard time getting motivated to quilt and sew. I made masks for a local hospital, family, friends, and neighbors. I used Leah day's youtube tutorial for a pattern, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNX0cRrYj6U




Elastic is hard to come by and I have read that it is irritating to the ears, so I started making masks with ties. More labor intensive, but they seem to fit better, if worn properly.



A local hospital gave my Quilt Guild members fabric and a pattern to make their masks. It is a woven material that is used to sterilize medical instruments.


I have added a Free Mask every day to the Little Free Library in front of my house. Someone left a roll of Toilet Paper in return two days in a row. 



I have decided that I really need to get some of my UFOs finished during this stay at home time. Motivating myself is another story!

I completed this quilt top at my Quilt Guild's Retreat in March. It is a free pattern by Sew Can She at https://www.sewcanshe.com/blog/2018/6/19/baby-heart-log-cabin-quilt-free-quilt-pattern This sweet baby quilt is for a friend's Grandbaby. #Coronavirusquilt1



I participated in Gudrun's Elvira Quarantine Quilt Along, http://pennyformythoughts-nona.blogspot.com/2020/04/quarantine-quilt-along-elvira.html

I have ordered red matching fabric for the binding and waiting for it to arrive to finish this quilt. #Coronavirusquilt2 #qqal1



I have a friend whose daughter is having a baby girl in the fall and wanted a girlie, pink quilt. Hope from GEDesigns is a fast, fun, easy quilt to make and to use up scraps of fabric. I also made a lap size Hope quilt. 


#hopequilt #coronavirusquilt3 #coronavirusquilt4 #qqal2

$35,000 was raised for charity through the sale of the Hope pattern by GEDesigns. For more information and yummy recipes, https://gequiltdesigns.com/blogs/ge-happenings/hope-quarantine-quilt-along-2-event
During this pandemic, I am starting the Tula Pink's City Sampler 100 Modern Quilt Blocks as part of a Sew Modern Bee. 

I am trying to make the "Stay at home" time count in my life and not get discouraged by world events. It has been a trying two weeks with the Pandemic and justifiable protests. On June 5th, my county in Pennsylvania moved from red to yellow in the transitional phase. Hopefully, green is right around the corner.  Green began on June 26th,  however, most people are still being cautious. Masks and social distancing are a must when going outside of the house. 

I have continued to work on the 100 Modern Quilt Blocks and have found these blocks to be addictive! Updates available at https://pennyformythoughts-nona.blogspot.com/2020/07/tula-pinks-city-sampler-100-modern.html.

November 20, 2920
Covid numbers are rising again in Pennsylvania, there are 3, 294 hospitalizations. All are requested not to travel for the Thanksgiving holidays. Dinner is to be eaten with members of our own household, so sad not to see extended family.
Sewing is my saving grace! Two friends and I made this charity quilt in sections. We each completed a section, then sewed it together.   
Fun to make and I’m sure a child will be happy to receive it.



No comments: