Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Perfect Stranger


The Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2017. 267 pages. ****

When ex-college roommate Emmy suggests that she and Leah start over in a small town in Pennsylvania, Leah jumps at the chance. Leah has burned her bridges in Boston as a journalist when an article she has written puts her career and the newspaper in jeopardy. When Emmy disappears and a local woman is attacked, Leah's boring life as a teacher comes under scrutiny. Does Emmy even exist and what proof does Leah have that someone is stalking her? Sleeping with the detective on the case is probably another bad decision, but Leah is determined to convince him that she is the victim and not the liar that he suspects she is.

I received an ecopy for review.

I loved the book, All the Missing Girls, and couldn't wait until this new book was released. I started it and was immediately drawn in and couldn't stop thinking about it and wonder where the story would take me. I had some initial insights and thought I had figured it out. I was so wrong and I didn't guess the outcome. My only hesitation in reviewing this book is that the story seemed to fizzle out for me. Initially, I couldn't put it down and then it seemed to lose its momentum. Towards the end, as she is wrapping up the mystery, I am "what?" Maybe it is me, but I am disappointed.

Megan Miranda is the author of several books for young adults, including Fracture, Hysteria, Vengeance, and Soulprint. She grew up in New Jersey, attended MIT, and lives in North Carolina with her husband and two children. Her novels for adults include All the Missing Girls and The Perfect Stranger. Follow @MeganLMiranda on Twitter, or visit MeganMiranda.com.

#allthemissinggirls #psychologicalthriller


No comments: