Tuesday, January 02, 2018

2018 Monthly Color Challenge Quilt

I love starting new BOM (Block of the Month) Quilts, finishing them, not so much. However, it is a new year and let's see what happens!

I saw a post on FB about a Monthly Color Challenge Quilt and that concept intrigued me. So, of course, I roped a few friends in and posted it on my Guild's FB page to see if anyone is interested in doing it with me.


The Challenge is being hosted by blogger, "Patterns by Jen, " and the blocks are available in two sizes, 6 inches and 12 inches. What makes this BOM interesting is that Jen is creating a block each month and she has invited other quilters/designers to create one too. There are two blocks to chose from each month. Jen has some sponsors and prizes as an incentive to complete each month's blocks. 


The color for January is RED and I chose to make Jen's block. I am going to use a black and white batik fabric as a background in each block.

I had a difficult time joining the sections together, some were noticeably smaller than others and my points are not as accurate as I would like. I may rework this block and be more careful in my sewing of the HST and the cutting process. Jen suggests a "scant" quarter inch seam and I moved my needle one space. I may wash my batik before continuing, it is puckering from being ironed and sprayed with Best Press. 



If I redo it, I will post an updated picture. 

February's color is BLUE! This block is so easy, I completed it in just one hour. All of the blocks are half square triangles and a scant 1/4inch seam. To get February's block, visit Jen's Blog.





January and February blocks!


March's color is Yellow...and all I can think of is sunshine.  


There is an error in the last picture on the instructions. Since I am a visual person, I usually look at the pictures/diagrams before reading instructions. in this case, I looked at both and it was an easy block. 


I didn't fussy cut this blocks, but I love that the center two blocks look like alien eyes, starbursts or sunshine. 


April - Orange

April is a bit of a challenge because it calls for 3 shades of orange. I bought a beautiful orange batik and it did not play well with the other oranges in my stash. And I still wanted to use the black and white batik as the background. I chose two other oranges and an orange and purple batik with hearts on it for my center block.




The color for May is Green!




June is PURPLE! 



In the next few months, the tertiary colors will be strutting their glory! 

July is Yellow Green!

I'm not sure that I am loving my fabric choice for this one...It was easy to construct, I made a change in the center block because I am using two colors rather than the suggested three.



I also used the "pressing clapper" that I bought from www.tntquiltboards.com at the Chantilly VA Quilt Show. It is amazing how flat it made my seams. 






Life has a way of getting in the way, so it took me a few months to catch up...

August - Red Orange


September - Red Violet

October  - Blue Violet 


November - Blue Green



One more month to go.... The final Block - December - Black and White



I wish I had done a more contrasting color for the corner squares. 

Next to decide on a layout... Jen has a few on her blog that will work! Not a great picture, but I will post with a better picture when the top is completed.



Patterns by Jen has indicated there is a 2019 Color Monthly Color Challenge...stay tuned and follow her at https://patternsbyjen.blogspot.com. I will be one of the bloggers for this challenge. I am so excited, this has been a fun quilt to make and Jen's instructions are so easy to follow.




#2018monthlycolorchallenge #BOMcolorchallenge #Januaryredblock #redblock #Februaryblueblock #blueblock #Marchyellowblock #yellowblock #orangeblock #Aprilorangeblock #Maygreenblock #greenblock #purpleblock #Junepurpleblock #Julyyellowgreen #pressingclapper #Augustredorange #redorangeblock #Septemberblueviolet #Octoberredviolet #Novemberbluegreen #bluegreenblock #Decemberblackandwhite #blackandwhite


8 comments:

rebecca said...

I still love your block! I struggled with the piecing as well. Not sure if I trimmed it wrong or what, but your block still looks great!!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

The puckers will not show once your quilt is finished. The quilting and the washing process makes it all pull together and your quilt will take on a lovely crinkly vintage look. I wouldn't redo and I'm fussy.

Kathy Nester said...

I notuced when I looked at other blocks, their points didn't line up exactly and I guess I can live with the puckers. I can't wait for the February block!

Jen Shaffer said...

I can't wait to see how this all comes together with the same background fabric. I wish we were closer so I could take a look at that red block and trouble shoot with you. Hmmm Thank you for joining the 2018 Monthly Color Challenge and "roping" some friends into joining you! :)

Tami Von Zalez said...

That quilt in your blog header is the bomb!
Don't forget you can also post any kind of block (which I am doing) as long as it matches the color theme for the month.

Hannah said...

Love the green block...nicely done!

DawnyK said...

Great blocks! Love your coordinated background color on all blocks.

Kathy Nester said...

Thank you!