Friday, September 21, 2018

Mary Lee Bendolph and Gee's Bends Quilts


I had the privilege today of attending "Celebrating the Quilts of Gee's Bend with Concurrent Exhibitions at Swarthmore College." It is a free exhibit and will be there September 6- October 28, 2018. These quilts were created by Mary Lee Bendolph and were made between the 1970s and 2010. I attended a lecture presented by her children, "Gee's Bend: Personal Narratives and Artistic Legacies." What an amazing story of a Mother's love, acceptance, and faith. Mary Lee led her children in a song that she believed was given to her by Jesus. It is exactly what I needed today to feed my soul with art, love, and faith. 

There will be a Public Reception and Curator's Talk for Piece Together: The Quilts of Mary Lee Bendolph and Responses to Gee's Bend. Tuesday, October 23, 4:30-6:00 pm. McCabe Library Atrium. 


My personal favorite!
























#geesbendquilts 

No comments: