Saturday, June 01, 2019

Mosaic Quilt

Mosaic Quilts

I love the look of Mosaic Quilts and have made two minis, so when Cheryl Lynch asked if anyone is willing to be a guinea pig for a new class, I jumped at the chance. Two days to create a mosaic under Cheryl's tutelage, sign me up! 

There were 4 of us the first day and 5 the second day. We were to bring a picture, drawing, or an outline of what we wanted to make. I had no idea where to even start, so I canvassed my friends for ideas and received several good ones. I took three images with me: an octopus, hot air balloon and a. girl with an umbrella.  The other participants already decided on what to create: a wine bottle and a glass, an anchor, a house and a scene with an adirondack chair. I chose a hot air balloon.  





Choosing colors is next. It's not as easy as I thought. Previously, I had purchased kits from Cheryl's Etsy shop and the fabric is included. I recommend that if you are new to mosaics that you purchase a kit. Cheryl's instructions are clear and easy to follow and the fabric is already chosen for you.

I started with black and orange for the top of the balloon and this is as far as I went the first day. After taking it home, I didn't like it...too stark and too much like Halloween.



I redid the top section with brighter colors.



I am liking it much better. Cutting the pieces is super easy with Cheryl's Mosaic Cutting Guide. The ruler is worth every penny. I can't imagine doing it any other way.











Containers for the 3/8 inch "chicklets" can be purchased at the Dollar Store, Jo-Anns or Michaels. The whole process is addictive and very similar to working on a jig-saw puzzle. Very zen!


I decide that I need a cloud to add to the overall effect. Adding it was more challenging than I thought it would be.

 The mosaic is complete!



Choosing the borders comes next, I have no preconceived ideas as to color! I purchased a map fabric for the back which seemed appropriate.





















Auditioning some potential borders.

 

 


Binding is on, it's done!  Thank you Cheryl Lynch!






I posted about making mini mosaics here

#mosaicquilts #hotairballoonquilt #hotairballoonmosaic @cheryllynchquilts

No comments: