Monday, October 21, 2019

Holy Envy


Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others by Barbara Brown Taylor. New York: Harper One, 2019. 238 pages. **** Study Guide can be downloaded.

From the author "It’s called Holy Envy after Krister Stendahl, whose third rule for understanding between people of different religions was “Leave room for holy envy.” The book started out as a classroom memoir, focusing on the teaching of Religion 101 (Religions of the World) at a small liberal arts college in rural Northeast Georgia.  By the time I finished it, the story was also about how teaching the class challenged and deepened my own faith. I hope it is a book that readers of any or no religious identity can enjoy, but I had Christians in mind when I wrote it—because holy envy is a difficult concept for people who have been taught there is only one way to God. Wrestling with that teaching—and others like it—is what this book is about."

This is not a book that I would have chosen on my own. I received it as part of a Facebook Book Club, The Book Hive Book Club. It was a fascinating read in the sense that it differs from other religious material that I have read. Reading about some of the tenets and customs from the religions and the students reactions to them was enlightening. An aside--I had this book with me at the dentist's office and the xray technician was very disapproving. She is a Christian and seemed to think that it is sinful and hurtful to read a book about other religions. "Jesus is the one true savior." I listened respectfully, but I kept an eye on the book, I was afraid she was going to pitch it in the trash can. I am intrigued by the concept of "Holy Envy." and questioned my own beliefs and do I have envy of other religions? Raised Catholic, I have my seemingly questionable actions...lighting candles, asking for three wishes when entering a new church, The Sign of the Cross, blessing myself with Holy Water, novenas, and praying the rosary. Yet, these same actions are comforting and rooted in my childhood Catholic school education. My relationship with God has not changed, just my outward actions of going to confession and Mass has changed. One of my friends is reading it as part of her Women's Group at her Church.This book has broadened my understanding of the religions mentioned and I definitely recommend it. 

Barbara Brown Taylor is a best-selling author, teacher, and Episcopal priest.  Her first memoir, Leaving Church, won an Author of the Year award from the Georgia Writers Association in 2006.  Her next two books, An Altar in the World (2010) and Learning to Walk in the Dark (2015), earned places on the New York Times bestseller list.  She has served on the faculties of Piedmont College, Columbia Theological Seminary, Candler School of Theology at Emory University, McAfee School of Theology at Mercer University, and the Certificate in Theological Studies program at Arrendale State Prison for Women in Alto, Georgia.  In 2014 TIME included her on its annual list of Most Influential People; in 2015 she was named Georgia Woman of the Year; in 2016 she received the President’s Medal at the Chautauqua Institution in New York.  For more information https://barbarabrowntaylor.com

No comments: