Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Temperature Quilt

February 12,  2020
I gave a demo to my Quilt Guild on my temperature quilt. 




January 8, 2020

August, September, October, done!!!


January 6, 2020

This quilt is not as easy to construct as I thought it would be. I cut the black in-between strip the size I thought it should be based on 31 squares at 2.5 = 62.5 inches. When I laid it out, the squares strip was about 1 inch bigger than the black strip. Back to the sewing machine to adjust some seams. I was more careful with second strip of squares and it was better. Not exactly straight! I did the flying geese method of making 4 at a time. I carefully cut and sewed and I’m disappointed in the result. The points are close to the edge and the pattern says to trim them down, 2 of them aren’t even the size I am supposed to trim them down to. I may be remaking them.



January 4, 2020

Temperature Quilt

I am intrigued by the concept of a temperature quilt, One records the highs, lows or averages for every day in a given year. I also read about making one recording the temperatures from my birth year. Wunderground Is an amazing website/App that will give historical temperatures by locale.
I decide to make one using the average temperatures in my first year of life. This isn’t as easy as I think it should be. I saw a quilt with the colors in it that I wanted my quilt to have, but I needed a pattern. A friend posted this quilt pattern on FB and I loved it.

The store where I went to purchase my fabrics had it in stock, sold! The pattern is "Showering Stars designed by Robin Pickens. My husband was sweet to extrapolate the daily data from Wunderground into an Excel spreadsheet.


These are my fabric choices.


I decided to use the colors in the same order for each month, but to record the temperatures independent of the other months. So the same color in each row will not necessarily be the same temperature. The highs and lows for each month will be unique and this will enable a more colorful quilt.

I found this cute little 2.5 square ruler in my rulers. It makes it really easy to cut the fabric.


Since the colors are so close in value, I decide to separate them into plastic bags and assign a number to each fabric.



This is my first row, August 2nd to August 31st. There are a few duplicate squares next to each other, but I think I am going to like it. I chose a black Kona cotton for the background, "Pepper." There will be strips of it in between the colored rows.


#temperaturequilt

No comments: