Friday, January 06, 2023

A World of Curiosities

 



A World of Curiosities  (Chief Inspector Gamache Novel, 18) by Louise Penny. New York: Minotaur Books, 2022. 390 pages. *****


In this latest Gamache novel, Three Pines is preparing for the end of winter and new beginnings. A previous case haunts Gamache and Beauvoir and has left them unsettled and unsure of themselves. The case involved a young girl convicted of the murder of her mother, however, Gamache isn't convinced that she did it, rather than her younger brother. Both young children were prostituted by their drug addicted mother. The sister has been released from prison and is graduating and her brother has come to Three Pines to join in the celebration. John Heywood's proverb comes to mind, "It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good." Throw in a room that has not been opened in one hundred and sixty years and when unlocked opens a "world of curiosities." 

There are many layers to this book, and I was mesmerized from the very beginning. The good versus evil is well-played leaving the reader wondering is Gamache losing his edge? 

Sometimes when there is a long series of books, the author loses their edge, not Louise Penny. In my opinion, this is her best book yet! I am hooked! I've decided I may need to start with book 1 and reread the series before the next book comes out. In her own words "My books are about terror. That brooding terror curled deep down inside us. But more than that, more than murder, more than all the rancid emotions and actions, my books are about goodness. And kindness. About choices. About friendship and belonging. And love. Enduring love.

If you take only one thing away from any of my books, I'd like it to be this:

Goodness exists." 

There is a series on Amazon Prime, The Three Pines,  based on her characters and books. The series has  received mixed reviews. I have enjoyed the shows; however, I watch them as a standalone and do not expect them to follow a particular book or storyline. 

For more information on Louise Penny and her books - https://www.louisepenny.com.

#bookstagram #psychologicalthriller #threepines #gamache




No comments: