Friday, January 11, 2019

2019 Monthly Color Challenge - January



January Color Challenge - Bells of Ireland - Green



This is the 2nd year that I have participated in a Monthly Color Challenge coordinated by Patterns by Jen. It was fun and easy to make one block each month. My 2018 Color Challenge Blocks may be viewed here: http://pennyformythoughts-nona.blogspot.com/2018/01/monthly-color-challenge-quilt.html

Some important information about the 2019 challenge:
  • You must go to Jen's blog each month to download the block. It is available free on the first day of the month until the last day of the month. 
  • Jen's blocks are easy to construct and she provides helpful hints along the way. 
  • This year's colors are taken from flowers, if you visit Jen's page you will see all of the flowers and colors for the year, however, you will have to wait each month for the block. 
  • Remember to use a "scant 1/4" seam.
  • Layout suggestions will be provided at the end of the Challenge.
I will be blogging each month about my blocks and sharing on social media.

I decided to make life easier and buy fat quarted bundles of fabric rather than choosing monthly. These were on sale at my LQS and I love the vibrant colors. 



In order to achieve, a scant quarter inch seam, I move my needle one place to the right.



Some of my favorite tools


I use Best Press in a spray bottle, a 6" square ruler and my aqua rotary cutter. The ruler makes it easy to square up sections of the quilt block.


I like to pin when assembling the sections of the block. Jen provides hints along the way: pressing arrows, and unit measurements. (remember to trim as you go and press in the right direction) 

My January block - green





#2019monthlycolorchallenge #januarybellsofirelandgreen #2019monthlycolorchallengegreen