Monday, January 03, 2022

Under The Whispering Door



Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune. New York: a Tom Doherty Associates Book, 2021. 376 pages. *****

Wallace Price is a "by the book" type of person. There are rules to be followed and no room for compassion, grey areas or flexibility. He ignored the twinge in his chest, until he died. "One moment, he'd been staring down at his body" and then he was standing in front of a church. His funeral was not one he would have planned, his ex-wife told unflattering stories of their life together and his colleagues (the few who attended) called him an asshole. One woman at the funeral stood out from the others, Wallace has no idea who she is. Mei introduces herself as a Reaper whose job it is to help him transition by taking him to meet Hugo, the ferryman. This is all very confusing to Wallace who still can't believe he is dead. Hugo lives in and runs a Tea Room in Charon's Crossing. The Tea Room, a way station for Ghosts, has a door to the next destination.  It is also a meeting place for the town residents to congregate and enjoy a delicious cup of tea often steeped with the perfect blend just for them. "Death isn't a final ending, Wallace. It is an ending, sure, but only to prepare you for a new beginning." (page 120) 

After I finished reading, The House in The Cerulean Sea, I couldn't wait to get my hands on another book written by TJ Klune. I was hooked from the very beginning, Wallace is such an unlikable character who is surprised when he realizes he has no friends or people who love him. I love Klune's writing style and am amazed by his insight into his character's thoughts and personality. I have heard of authors and artists who say they have to create or write what they do or dream and I suspect it is the same for this author. The story seemed to lag for a bit and at times, I wanted him to get on with it, however, a new twist would appear and I thought - oh, that's why! So hang in there, if you are tempted to stop. Parts of the story are scary for me and I can't even tell you why. It is a story of friendship, love, and hope. I love his descriptions of Wallace tethered-- bouncing and floating, his fear of banging into things. There are many humorous moments in the story as well as triggers for anyone grieving. I laughed, I cried, and scribbled down comments about death that I didn't want to forget. Do not skip the Epilogue! Klune is one of the few authors when I finish one of his books, I wish I could reread it for the first time once again. Louise Penny is another one of those authors. 

My Review of The House in the Cerulean Sea

TJ KLUNE is a Lambda Literary Award-winning author (Into This River I Drown) and an ex-claims examiner for an insurance company. His novels include  the Green Creek series, The House on the Cerulean Sea and The Exraordinaries. Being queer himself, TJ believes it's important—now more than ever—to have accurate, positive, queer representation in stories.

For more information on TJ Klune, click here.

#lgbtqfiction #deathfiction  #queerfiction @tjklune

Follow me on IG at kathy.nester

No comments: