Sunday, April 03, 2016

Quilt Retreat


Quilt Guild Retreat



Packed and ready to go!

My sister and I tried to pack lighter than last year and decided to share some tools and fabric. Yet, somehow we end up with all of this with us!

Our room was very nice, however, my sister missed having a TV in our room. (the Retreat venue is a religious affiliated facility; no drinking, music, etc.) I was glad to disconnect for a few days from the Election saga and news. I did find myself checking FB and the local news channels to see what was happening outside of our sewing world.


Getting everything set up in the large sewing room was easy; connecting all of the sewing machines, irons, etc. caused power problems in the room. 




We did some group projects for our upcoming Brandywine Valley Guild Quilt Show on Oct. 15th and 16th. We made pumpkins and bookmarks. We made these beautiful pumpkins from an Inbox Jaunt Tutorial

 
They are so cute and easy to make!

Four of us are working on the Gypsy Wife quilt designed by Jen Kingwell. It is so much fun to see it interpreted in our own way and fabric of our own choosing. We swapped some Kaffe Fassett fabrics because they are so bright and seem to fit this pattern. 


No Quilt Retreat is complete without a visit to a local Quilt Store (or two, or three). We went to The Quilt Ledger in Christiana, PA on Friday and it is a fabulous store and they gave us a discount. Win-win! The Good's Store and Burkholder Fabrics made our fabric shopping trip complete.

 

I also purchased coordinating prints for the Tula Pink fabrics I am using in the Splendid Sampler quilt blocks.

The amazing part about the Retreat experience is the camaraderie of fellow quilters. I was working on a quilt block and decided I needed orange fabric and asked if anyone had any orange fabric. Immediately, without any hesitation, several women offered what orange fabric they had. I was working on one of my Splendid Sampler blocks and realized I didn't have any green thread to sew the flower stem, no problem, I soon had my choice of green thread. Quilters are the most amazing, generous people in the world. 



All too soon, the weekend ended and we cleaned up and headed home. I was so fortunate to share this experience with my sister, Mary. We have been fellow quilters for many years and are both members of the same Quilt Guild. 

It was a wonderful weekend and I look forward to next year!




#quiltretreat #BrandywineValleyQuilters #TheSplendidSampler

No comments: