Tuesday, January 02, 2018

One Word 2018

For the last few years, I have chosen One Word to represent the new year. Some years I felt that the "word" was easy and it seemed to choose me and other year's, I chose it by default. 

2017 - Balance
2016 - Promise
2015 Abundance
2014 Believe
2013 Simplify

2017 brought with it some challenges and my life wasn't often in balance and many times I couldn't recall what word I chose. The older I get, the more I feel as if I am missing something...a thought, an idea, a memory. It's there one second and then "poof" it's gone. And for the life of me, I can't remember it. Yet somehow, it seems important. Just like a dream that haunts me all day long and I can't recall it, but it seems like a warning or a foreshadowing. I hate that feeling.

I decided to actually use a process to choose my word, to listen to my intuition. Listening is also not my strong suit, I like to talk and use words to communicate. So, briefly, I did consider "listen." 

I made a list of words between Christmas and New Year. Some of the words I considered for 2018:


    • Inspire                              Wellness  
    • Thankful                           Strong
    • Present                             Calm
    • Joy                                   Trust
    • Create                              Peace
    • Connect                            Spirit
    • Imagine                            Design
    • Dream                              Pause
    • Release                            Clarity
I want my word to be positive and not invoke difficult situations in my life for the coming year. I circled the four words that I considered: Present, Trust, Pause, and Clarity.

I then wrote down what each of those words meant to me as well as my goals for 2018. I'm not really big on resolutions, giving up something only makes me want it more. Aspiring to be someone different or better just leaves me frustrated. I want to be present and trust; pause and listen too. Somehow, Clarity encompassed the other actions.

I want to be clearer about my intentions; what do I want and does the activity serve me? I often volunteer to do things that take a lot of time. I have had a few health challenges in 2017 and I am trying to learn the lesson from them. One concerns my vision and I know there is a message in there somewhere. It is frustrating to have limitations and not be able to read the way I once did and to limit my book reviewing. Perhaps, I am being offered an opportunity for quality over quantity.

I have always been a "goal" oriented, type A personality and have struggled with a sense of purpose since retiring 4 years ago. I am hoping that "clarity" will bring joy and peace to my activities throughout the year. 

Quilting and creating are important to me, so I want more time to finish my projects started and to explore new ideas, and techniques. 

My Granddaughter has chosen "Service" as her word and maybe we can work together on some projects this year. 

I have created a Pinterest Board on Clarity (I did mention type "A" personality, right?) https://www.pinterest.com/kmnester/clarity/


#clarity #myoneword2018 #oneword2018




No comments: