Tuesday, December 01, 2020

The 2020 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge

 December 1, 2020

Cheryl Sleboda (muppin.com) is once again hosting the 31 day writing challenge. I always have the best intentions and then lose interest. I hope to stick with it this year. If you want to join in...http://muppin.com/wordpress/index.php/the-2020-31-day-blog-writing-challenge/.

 Here are the prompts for this year. Looking them over, I can see why I don't follow through. When others share their workspace, it always looks charming and neat; mine looks like someone let a 2 year old loose to play.


 Day 1  - Introduction

Who am I? I am a Wife, Mother, Nona, retired librarian, quilter, and a book reviewer. I am 65+ years old and by society's standards "old." Other than a few creaky joints and occasional eye issues, I don't feel old. 

My favorite people...

I am active in two Quilt Guilds - Brandywine Valley Quilters and Calico Cutters Quilt Guild. Neither Guild is meeting in person, so we are Zooming each month. I really miss in person meetings and have grown weary of Zoom. Both Guilds have charity projects going, so I have managed to stay busy during Covid restrictions. I use a HandiQuilter Sweet Sixteen to machine quilt and admin a machine quilting Facebook Group. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/HQSweetSixteen)

As a librarian, I reviewed books and have continued to do so while retired. I worked as a high school librarian and reviewed YA books, I now read mystery, historical fiction, realistic fiction, and suspense.  There has been a shift in the last 5 years from physical to eBooks. I will read any book, anywhere. I knew in 3rd grade that I wanted to be a librarian and I never veered from my goal. I am a Leo and can be single-minded/determined/stubborn/bossy. There's a Little Free Library in front of my house...old habits die hard. My husband made it for me and it has been a popular source of books for my neighbors during the pandemic.


3 D and optical illusion quilts are my favorite! The one at the top of the page is the Labyrinth Walk pattern by Christopher Florence that I made my husband for our 40th Wedding Anniversary. I am fascinated with their design and construction, my mind doesn't quite work that way. I am so fortunate that I have a friend, Cheryl Holman, who designs them and sometimes needs a pattern tester. In a future post, I will share her latest pattern and my table runner. 

My all time favorite activity is to sew with children in the Philadelphia Children's Hospital.  Ryan's Case for Smiles helps the children to sew a pillowcase to take home with them. I cannot wait to get past Covid and return. In the meantime, both Quilt Guilds continue to make pillowcases to send to area hospitals. 

 One day down, 30 more to go...stay tuned!

 Follow me on Instagram kathy.nester

 #31dayblogchallenge2020 #day1introduction

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Nice to meet you! I'm doing the blog challenge as well. I agree with you about people's studio pics. I used older ones that are much cleaner and more attractive than my space is on a daily basis. :)