Wednesday, December 02, 2020

The 2020 31 Day Writing Challenge

 December 2, 2020 - Day 2 - Sewing Space


Usually I sew in my room downstairs, however, two friends and I are taking a ZOOM class tomorrow and we are socially distancing sewing together. I have set up my space in the living room.  It seems that since the isolation during COVID, I prefer to be upstairs and in the midst of everything. My husband is an easy going guy who doesn't seem to mind the mess and I am not a neat sewing room kind of person. Many of my Quilt Guild friends Zoom from their neat and orderly sewing studios -- complete with a long arm, cutting and sewing stations, perfectly lined up fabric on the shelves--totally amazing to me. I spend some of the meeting time looking behind them at their rooms. You have to be a special, non-judging friend to even enter my sewing space downstairs. I always thought if I had more time I would clean it up---during the pandemic, I have plenty of time, but no motivation to clean. I'd rather sew! 

Last night I looked back to see how far I had made it into this challenge last year. Not very far and my post for day 1 was almost the same pictures and information. And yet, if you had asked me I would have said life has drastically changed in the last year. In some respects it has, perhaps sewing is one area that is consistent and controllable. I have participated in three Sew-Alongs during COVID,  The Project Linus Mystery Quilt and  Elvira and Harmony organized by Gudrun of GE Designs .
Zoom classes have taken the place of in person classes and have increased the opportunities to learn from a wider pool of teachers in all areas of the world. My sewing tools are close at hand, no need to cart a heavy sewing machine and awkward cutting mat and rulers. I can change my fabric selection on a whim and look for a replacement in my stash. Purchasing fabric has become challenging, I prefer to see, feel and compare it rather than order online. Fortunately, there are many fabric/quilt shops within driving distance of where I live. Unfortunately, not all of them are following mask  wearing and social distancing guidelines or are in a state which requires me to quarantine when I return home. I can't even keep the rules straight on a daily basis and I am a rule follower. A vaccine and 2021 is coming soon!

#31dayblogchallenge2020 #day2sewingspace

No comments: